May 24, 2023
The Importance of EMR Systems in Physical Therapy
Electronic Medical Record Systems (EMR Systems) are gaining popularity among independent PT clinics. Why? They provide a secure way of storing, accessing, and managing patient data and let’s face it; traditional paper-based record-keeping just doesn’t cut it in today’s fast-paced world.
You and your patients deserve a tool that can meet the demands of your clinic, and you need a patient management solution that includes EMR as a feature.
Here’s what to know about EMRs:
- A quality EMR can make or break your practice
- EMR automates busy manual work
- EMRs take your PT clinics to the next level
1. Finding the Perfect EMR System Match
There’s much to consider when choosing the right EMR system. Much like dating, you want to find something you can match with based on what you’re looking for. (Never thought you would see a dating reference in a PT blog, did you?)
Transitioning to a digital record system is a big step, and you don’t want to be stuck with a tool that will inhibit you. Having a checklist ready to find exactly what you’re looking for is critical. Much like going steady, it’s a huge commitment and shouldn’t be taken lightly!
What EMR features do I need to consider?
Customizable treatment plans and progress tracking - Keeping track of multiple patients can become overwhelming as your practice grows. Choose an EMR System that simplifies and personalizes this process so you can modify treatment plans to suit their needs. Tip: PtEverywhere's EMR tool allows quick customization of document templates to enter patient data quickly.
Automation - As a PT, your main focus is your patients. Your mind shouldn’t have to catch every detail of a patient’s visit. When browsing for EMR solutions, test the quality and ease of automation. The more user-friendly, the better!
Convenience - Flexibility is vital to documentation. Having a mobile app to document anywhere and having the ability to talk-to-text patient notes means you no longer have to be tied to a desk to get things done. This translates to increased productivity and spending more time with patients.
Focus - You want to ensure experts in their field make your EMR. The last thing you want is a buggy system. So take time to research the company. Ideally, find one that has experience in the PT industry. Tip: PtEverywhere was designed by PTs for PTs.
It’s essential to have an EMR solution that can keep up with the abrupt changes in a clinic. You’re on the go, and your EMR should act like your personal assistance. Tip: Pteverywhere’s handy voice-to-text feature lets PTs record notes directly into their patient charts. Tip: Pteverywhere’s handy voice-to-text feature lets PTs record notes directly into their patient charts.
2. Streamlining Administrative Tasks
Having many duties as a PT owner can take time and effort. Dividing your focus between your practice and your patients can lead to frustration and inefficiency. As we covered before, most physical therapists (67.8%) reported work as the most significant source of burnout.
If only there were an easier way… (spoiler alert, there is!)
EMR Systems allow PTs to focus more on their practice by streamlining administrative tasks and reducing errors done manually.
How do EMRs eliminate redundant work?
- Simpflies patient registration and scheduling: The traditional method of registering and scheduling must be more engaging and prone to error. By providing user-friendly online patient portals, patients are allowed a convenient and easy-to-use way of documenting and scheduling with PTs, including automated session reminders.
- Lightens documentation and record keeping: Tracking patient details and progress can be tedious. EMRs allow for electronic charting and customizable templates so that you can highlight the crucial aspects of your patient's status.
- Makes billing and insurance claims a breeze: EMR Systems provide billing and coding tools that remove the busy work of the medical coding process and allow for quick reimbursement through electronic submissions.
EMR Systems make these processes easier for everybody, from scheduling to record-keeping to billing.
3. Enhancing Clinical Workflow
Feeling confident in patient care makes you, in turn, more optimistic as a PT. Knowing your clinic operations are performing to the best of their abilities can remove unwanted stress and keep you less distracted. The process should be as smooth as butter from reception to patient checkout.
Easier said than done, for sure! But it can be done if the correct system is in place.
How do EMRs help with this?
- Instant access to comprehensive patient records: Having unlimited access to your patient's records is a game changer. Vital information about your patient is provided to you at any time and place. In addition, this kind of instant access facilitates informed clinical decision-making.
- Utilizing clinical decision support tools: EMR Systems include clinical decision support tools that assist PTs in selecting the most appropriate medications based on patient-specific factors. In addition, evidence-based guidelines are provided to help inform decisions and tools to measure outcomes and track progress.
EMR Systems empower PTs by providing them with a platform suited to the requirements of a clinical workflow. This modernized method of accessing records will improve the efficiency of any PT in any practice.
Elevate PT patient care with EMR Systems
As a PT owner, you shouldn’t feel overwhelmed by unnecessary tasks. It’s unfair that you must spend more time on paperwork and less on your patients.
Implementing an EMR System into your practice will significantly improve your experience with patients and vice versa. When you discover a practice management solution that fits your practice's needs and boasts first-rate EMR features, you can immensely enhance your day-to-day clinic operations by improving patient communication.
This culminates in a rewarding experience for both PTs and their patients!
To learn more about implementing EMRs in PT practice, book a demo or check out our media center for more therapy tips and tricks!